the pride of the midwest, this extremely good soup combines beer and sharp cheddar with milk (or cream), bird broth, finely diced vegetables, mustard, worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, and cayenne.
1. 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
2. 1 1/2 cups diced onion
3. 1 1/2 cups diced celery
4. 2 cloves garlic, minced
5. 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
6. 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
7. 1/2 teaspoon salt
8. 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
9. 3 cups chicken broth
10. 2 cups beer
11. 1/3 cup butter
12. 1/3 cup flour
13. 4 cups milk or half and half
14. 6 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
15. 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
16. 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
17. 1 teaspoon dry mustard
18. popped popcorn, for garnish
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:45 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours 15 Minutes
1. in a massive saucepan over medium heat, stir collectively carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. stir in warm pepper sauce, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. pour in hen broth and beer; simmer till veggies are gentle, approximately 12 mins. eliminate from warmth.
2. meanwhile, warmth butter in a huge soup pot over medium-excessive heat. stir in flour with a cord whisk; cook dinner, stirring till the flour is mild brown, approximately three or 4 minutes. step by step stir in milk, whisking to save you sizzling, until thickened. do away with from warmth, and steadily stir in cheese. keep warm.
3. stir beer mixture into cheese aggregate. stir in dijon mustard, worcestershire sauce, and dry mustard. adjust for hot pepper sauce. convey to a simmer, and cook 10 minutes. serve topped with popcorn.