1. 1 whole (10 ounce) tilapia, or more as desired
2. oil for deep frying
4. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as desired
5. 1 yellow onion, chopped
6. 5 large red chile peppers, sliced
7. 5 cloves garlic, chopped
8. 2 tablespoons fish sauce
9. 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
10. 1/4 cup Thai basil leaves, or to taste
11. 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste
Prep:15 Minutes, Cook:15 Minutes, Ready In:30 Minutes
1. cut several angled slits alongside the body of the fish, slicing right down to the rib bones. reduce 2 lateral slits along the back of the fish, from head to tail on either aspect of the dorsal fin. those cuts will make sure brief cooking and maximum crispiness.
2. warmth oil for frying in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 stages f (a hundred seventy five degrees c).
3. gently area fish into the new oil and fry until crispy, 3 to 4 minutes per facet. lightly take away fish from the oil and drain on a paper towel-covered plate.
4. warmth 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a wok or massive skillet over medium heat; prepare dinner and stir onion, red chile peppers, and garlic till gently browned, five to 10 minutes. add fish sauce and soy sauce and cast off wok from warmth. speedy stir basil and cilantro into sauce.
5. area fish on a big serving platter and pour sauce over fish.