my friend's mom from ukraine taught me this for the conventional beet soup. it's as actual as it gets. it could be made vegetarian through omitting the sausage–and vegan via omitting the sour cream as nicely.
1. 1 (16 ounce) package pork sausage
2. 3 medium beets, peeled and shredded
3. 3 carrots, peeled and shredded
4. 3 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
5. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
6. 1 medium onion, chopped
7. 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
8. 3/4 cup water
9. 1/2 medium head cabbage, cored and shredded
10. 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
11. 3 cloves garlic, minced
12. salt and pepper to taste
13. 1 teaspoon white sugar, or to taste
14. 1/2 cup sour cream, for topping
15. 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley for garnish
Prep:25 Minutes, Cook:40 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours 5 Minutes
1. fall apart the sausage (if the use of) right into a skillet over medium-excessive warmth. cook and stir until no longer crimson. do away with from the heat and set apart.
2. fill a big pot midway with water(about 2 quarts), and convey to a boil. upload the sausage, and cowl the pot. return to a boil. upload the beets, and cook dinner until they have got misplaced their shade. upload the carrots and potatoes, and cook dinner till smooth, about 15 minutes. add the cabbage, and the can of diced tomatoes.
three. warmness the oil in a skillet over medium heat. upload the onion, and cook dinner till smooth. stir within the tomato paste and water until nicely combined. transfer to the pot. add the uncooked garlic to the soup, cowl and flip off the heat. allow stand for 5 minutes. flavor, and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
4. ladle into serving bowls, and garnish with bitter cream, if preferred, and clean parsley.