breaded tofu and portobello mushrooms are topped with mozzarella cheese to create a splendid parmigiana-style vegetarian meal.
1. 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2. 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3. 4 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
4. salt and ground black pepper to taste
5. 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu, cut into four 1/4-inch thick slices
6. 4 portobello mushrooms, stems removed
7. 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
8. 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
9. 2 cloves garlic, minced
10. 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
11. 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:25 Minutes, Ready In:55 Minutes
1. preheat oven to 400 levels f (200 levels c).
2. stir bread crumbs, three tablespoons parmesan cheese, 2 teaspoons oregano, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl.
3. place tofu in a bowl of cold water. location mushrooms in a separate bowl of cold water. cast off 1 mushroom from water; press mushroom into bread crumb aggregate and turn to coat all facets. switch breaded mushroom to a plate. repeat with final mushrooms and tofu slices.
four. heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. cook breaded tofu and mushrooms in hot oil till browned on one side, 2 to a few minutes. drizzle a touch olive oil over the top, turn mushrooms and tofu slices, and cook till browned on the opposite aspect, about 2 mins greater.
5. whisk tomato sauce, garlic, remaining oregano, and basil collectively in a bowl until sauce is smooth. spread a skinny layer of sauce into the lowest of an 8-inch square baking dish. set up tofu slices in a single layer over sauce, and top every tofu slice with a mushroom. spoon final sauce over mushrooms and tofu; top with mozzarella cheese and remaining parmesan cheese.
6. bake inside the preheated oven until cheese melts and combination is bubbling, about 20 minutes.