this hearty vegetarian chili includes roasted candy potatoes and black beans, along side highly spiced, flavorful seasonings such as chili powder, jalapenos, and cocoa powder.
1. 2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
2. 1/2 teaspoon ground dried chipotle pepper
3. 1/2 teaspoon salt
4. 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
5. 1 onion, diced
6. 4 cloves garlic, minced
7. 1 red bell pepper, diced
8. 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
9. 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder, or to taste
10. 1 tablespoon ground cumin
11. 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
12. 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
13. 1 cup water, or more as needed
14. 1 tablespoon cornmeal
15. 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
16. 1 teaspoon white sugar
17. 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
18. 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
19. 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
20. 1/2 cup sour cream, for garnish (optional)
21. 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Prep:20 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 10 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours 30 Minutes
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees f (2 hundred stages c). line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. combine candy potatoes, chipotle pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl and toss to coat. spread candy potatoes at the organized baking sheet in a single layer.
three. roast sweet potatoes within the preheated oven till the outdoor is crunchy and inside is tender, 20 to twenty-five mins. allow to cool to room temperature.
four. prepare dinner and stir ultimate 1 tablespoon olive oil, onion, garlic, purple bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ancho chile powder, cumin, and dried oregano collectively in a massive pot or dutch oven over medium heat. cook and stir until onion is softened, approximately 5 mins.
five. pour tomatoes and water into the onion mixture and bring to a simmer. upload cornmeal, 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and cocoa powder. deliver to a simmer, stirring constantly, reduce warmth to low and simmer for half-hour.
6. stir black beans and cooled sweet potatoes into the onion-tomato mixture. add extra water if combination is too thick. simmer till heated via, approximately 15 minutes. season with salt and cayenne pepper to flavor. serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.