1. 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken stock
2. 3 cups apple cider
3. 2 cups honey
4. 2 cups kosher salt
5. 2 bunches fresh thyme, divided
6. 1 bunch fresh sage, divided
7. 10 cloves garlic, peeled, or more to taste
8. 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper, or more to taste
9. 4 cups water, or more if needed
10. 1 (20 pound) whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
11. 2 oranges, halved
12. 2 lemons, halved, or more to taste
13. 2 teaspoons olive oil, or more as needed
14. salt and ground black pepper to taste
Prep:20 Minutes, Cook:3 Hours 30 Minutes, Ready In:1 d 4 Hours 5 Minutes
1. integrate fowl stock, apple cider, honey, and salt in a big bowl; stir till honey is dissolved. add half of the thyme, half of the sage, garlic, and black pepper; stir. upload water and stir till brine is flippantly mixed.
2. vicinity turkey in a food-secure cooking bag and pour brine over turkey. inject the meaty components of turkey with brine the use of an injector. collect bag tightly around turkey in order that brine absolutely surrounds turkey, including greater water if needed. seal bag, place in a massive pot, and refrigerate, 24 to forty eight hours.
3. preheat oven to 350 ranges f (one hundred seventy five stages c). region a rack in a big 2 half of-inch deep roasting pan.
4. dispose of turkey from brine and pat dry interior and out. reserve approximately 1/2 of the brine. vicinity turkey in a sparkling oven-safe baking bag, breast-aspect down and place on the rack.
5. squeeze oranges and lemons into the principle hollow space of the turkey. location squeezed oranges and lemons, last thyme, and closing sage inside the cavity. gently coat turkey with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. insert an oven-secure thermometer within the thickest a part of the thigh with out touching the bone.
6. bake within the preheated oven, basting with brine every 30 minutes, for two half of hours. flip turkey and continue baking until not crimson at the bone and the juices run clear, 1 to 1 1/2 hours more. the thermometer should study 180 levels f (eighty two degrees c). allow turkey to rest 15 to 20 minutes earlier than reducing.