1. Crust and Crumb Topping:
2. 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3. 6 tablespoons white sugar, divided
4. 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
5. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6. 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
7. 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
8. 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
9. 1 tablespoon water
11. 5 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
12. 1/2 cup white sugar
13. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
14. 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
15. 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Prep:25 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 10 Minutes, Ready In:2 Hours 35 Minutes
1.heat oven to 220 degree c); role rack in the bottom third of oven.
2. whisk 2 half cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and cream of tartar in a bowl. drizzle in butter. stir crust combination till just mixed and crumbly.
3. switch 1 1/4 cups of crust mixture right into a separate bowl; upload the ultimate 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. knead together with your fingertips until well blended but nevertheless crumbly. cover with plastic wrap; freeze crumb topping till prepared to apply.
4. pour vinegar and water into the remaining crust aggregate. blend to form a dough; switch to a gently floured work surface and knead until easy. press dough onto the lowest and sides of a pie plate the usage of a flat-bottomed measuring cup to make the bottom crust. crimp edges with a gently floured fork. freeze till geared up to apply.
5. toss apples, half of cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and sea salt collectively in a large bowl. pile over the lowest crust and cowl with the crumb topping.
6. bake on the lowest rack of the heated oven until gently browned, about 20 mins.
7. reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees f (174 stages c). flip pie and keep baking, covering crust aluminum foil or a pie shield halfway through, till crust is golden brown, about 50 minutes. cool on a cord rack before slicing, about 1 hour.