beefy french onion soup is made within the sluggish cooker, then crowned with the traditional slice of toasted french bread and a savory mixture of four cheeses, then broiled till browned and bubbling. it's amusing to allow humans gather their very own bowls, too.
1. 6 tablespoons butter
2. 4 large yellow onions, sliced and separated into rings
3. 1 tablespoon white sugar
4. 2 cloves garlic, minced
5. 1/2 cup cooking sherry
6. 7 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
7. 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
8. 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
9. 1 bay leaf
10. 8 slices of French bread
11. 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
12. 1/3 cup shredded Emmental cheese
13. 1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
14. 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella cheese
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:4 Hours 35 Minutes, Ready In:5 Hours 5 Minutes
1. warmth butter in a big, heavy pot over medium-high warmth; cook and stir onions until they emerge as translucent, approximately 10 minutes. sprinkle onions with sugar; lessen warmness to medium. cook dinner, stirring continuously, till onions are smooth and browned, as a minimum half-hour. stir in garlic and cook till fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. stir sherry into onion combination and scrape backside of pot to dissolve small bits of browned food from the pot. transfer onions right into a gradual cooker and pour in beef broth. season to taste with sea salt; stir in thyme and bay leaf. cowl cooker, set on high, and cook four to 6 hours. if preferred, set on low and cook dinner eight to ten hours.
3. about 10 mins before serving, set oven rack about eight inches from the heat supply and preheat the oven's broiler. set up bread slices on a baking sheet.
four. broil bread slices till toasted, 1 to 2 minutes according to facet.
five. integrate gruyere, emmental, parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses in a bowl, tossing gently. fill oven-safe soup crocks 3/4 full of onion soup and flow a bread slice in every bowl. pinnacle with approximately 2 tablespoons of cheese aggregate per serving.
6. vicinity filled bowls onto a baking sheet and broil till cheese topping is lightly browned and effervescent, approximately 2 mins.