golden pan-seared chicken breasts are crowned with a salsa roja sauce, cotija cheese, and cilantro on this easy and flavorful weeknight dish.
1. 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into six 4-ounce portions
2. 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or more as needed
3. 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
4. 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
5. 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
6. 1 cup tomato salsa
7. 1 tablespoon chili powder
8. 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
9. 1/2 cup chicken stock
10. 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
11. 4 ounces crumbled cotija cheese, divided
12. 1 (6 inch) corn tortilla, cut into 1/2-inch squares
13. 1 cup stemmed and chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Prep:25 Minutes, Cook:12 Minutes, Ready In:37 Minutes
1. place chicken among 2 sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, stage floor. firmly pound hen with the smooth side of a meat mallet to half of-inch thickness.
2. combine flour, salt, and ground black pepper in a shallow dish. dredge fowl in flour combination.
3. coat a large skillet with olive oil; warmth over medium-high heat. reduce warmth to medium and upload chook; cook dinner until golden brown, five to six mins. flip chicken and preserve cooking until 2nd side is golden brown, approximately four minutes more.
four. stir diced tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin into the skillet. prepare dinner until flavors combine, 2 to a few minutes. upload bird inventory and lime juice; stir to blend. transfer chicken to a serving platter. upload 3 oz. cotija cheese and tortilla portions to the sauce; simmer, about 1 minute. spoon sauce over chook on the platter.
five. garnish chook with last 1 ounce cotija cheese and clean cilantro.