enjoy even better toast and sandwiches through baking brown bread from scratch with this aggregate of old school oatmeal, molasses, and butter.
1. 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
2. 2 1/3 cups boiling water
3. 1/3 cup molasses
4. 1/2 cup butter
5. 2 teaspoons salt
6. 6 cups bread flour, or more as needed
7. 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:40 Minutes, Ready In:2 Hours 40 Minutes
1. pour boiling water over oats in a massive bowl; allow melt, about 1 hour. add molasses, butter, and yeast; blend well. upload flour, 1 cup at a time, blending well after each addition till dough sticks together. cover with a towel and permit rise in a warm vicinity till doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
2. butter two 9×5-inch loaf pans.
3. punch down dough and flip onto a gently floured surface. shape into 2 balls and allow rest for 10 minutes. shape balls into loaves and vicinity into the organized pans. cover loaves with a humid material and let upward thrust till doubled in quantity, approximately half-hour.
four. preheat oven to 375 degrees f (a hundred ninety degrees c).
five. bake loaves in the preheated oven until tops are golden brown, about forty mins.