1. 2 slices sourdough bread
2. 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3. 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4. 2 large russet potatoes, unpeeled and whole
5. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6. 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, or more if needed
8. 2 tablespoons cornstarch
9. 1 large egg
Prep:25 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 8 Minutes, Ready In:2 Hours 3 Minutes
1. remove crust and slice bread into half of-inch cubes. warmth butter and oil together in a skillet over medium heat; fry bread cubes until golden brown, 3 to 5 mins. switch to a paper-towel coated plate.
2. convey a huge pot of salted water to a boil. upload potatoes; cook till soft, about 45 minutes. drain; allow to cool slightly. peel and cut into big pieces. switch to a bowl; refrigerate about half-hour.
3. mash potatoes with a fork; stir in salt and nutmeg. add flour and cornstarch. knead mixture in bowl, the use of your hands, until a clean dough paperwork. upload greater flour by using tablespoon if dough is sticky. blend in egg.
4. roll dough into balls, 1/4 cup in line with dumpling. insert a bread cube into the middle of each dumpling; roll between hands to clean over.
5. carry a massive pot of salted water almost to a boil. area four dumplings at a time into the pot; prepare dinner till they float to the surface, 10 to 15 mins. transfer cooked dumplings to a big bowl the usage of a slotted spoon; maintain heat. repeat with last dumplings.