1. 4 (6 ounce) lean beef steaks, thinly sliced
2. 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3. salt and ground black pepper
4. 4 slices smoked bacon
5. 1 large onion, chopped
6. 4 baby dill spears
7. kitchen string
8. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
9. 1 tablespoon butter
10. 1/2 teaspoon salt
11. 1 cup boiling water
12. 1/4 cup ice-cold water
13. 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:2 Hours, Ready In:2 Hours 30 Minutes
1. pound steaks very skinny, for 1/8-inch thick, the usage of the flat aspect of a mallet. spread 1 tablespoon mustard over every; sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
2. middle 1 publisher 1st baron vernacular slice on each steak. sprinkle 1 tablespoon onion on top; reserve closing onion. region 1 pickle spear on the cease of every steak; roll up, tucking edges in. cozy rolls with kitchen string.
3. heat oil and butter in a dutch oven over medium-low warmth. area rolls inside the dutch oven; fry until very dark on all aspects, 20 to half-hour. transfer to a plate.
4. region final onion in dutch oven over medium warmth. cook and stir, scraping bits from the lowest, until onions are translucent, about five minutes. upload 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir. upload 1/four cup boiling water; scrape the lowest again.
5. go back rolls to the dutch oven. upload extra boiling water to simply cover rolls; vicinity lid on dutch oven. lessen heat to low; simmer till meat may be very soft, for 90 mins. check on occasion, adding greater boiling water if wanted. season with salt and pepper.
6. transfer rolls to a plate; keep heat. combine ice-cold water and flour in a small field with a lid; shake to combo. upload mixture slowly to the simmering juices; stir until gravy is thickened, for 5 minutes.
7. set up rolls on a serving platter; cowl with gravy.