1. 1 (6 ounce) package long grain and wild rice mix (such as Zatarain’s®)
2. 2 1/4 cups water
3. 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
4. cooking spray
5. 1 pound mild sausage
6. 1 onion, chopped
7. 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
8. 2 (15 ounce) cans hoppin’ John
9. salt and ground black pepper to taste
10. 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, or more to taste
Prep:15 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 20 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours 40 Minutes
1. combine rice blend, water, and butter in a saucepan. deliver to a boil; lessen warmness to low and simmer, covered, till rice is smooth, about 25 minutes. cast off from warmness and permit stand for 5 mins. fluff with a fork.
2. preheat oven to 350 stages f (175 ranges c). grease a massive casserole dish gently with cooking spray.
3. cook dinner and stir sausage in a massive skillet over medium warmness till browned and crumbly, five to 7 minutes. drain, booking a few grease within the skillet, and area in a bowl.
four. prepare dinner and stir onion and inexperienced bell pepper in the skillet till softened, about 5 mins. stir in rice, sausage, and hoppin’ john till frivolously dispensed. season with salt and pepper. transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
5. bake inside the preheated oven till heated thru, 30 to 35 mins. sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. preserve baking until cheese is melted, approximately 10 mins.