infuse your french onion soup with caramelized sweet onions, cover with layers of gruyere cheese, and bake in premade sourdough bread bowls.
1. 4 sourdough bread rounds (such as Brown ‘N Serve®)
2. 1 cup butter, divided
3. 1/4 cup crushed garlic, divided
4. 1 sweet onion, diced
5. 2 (14 ounce) cans beef broth
6. 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
7. 1/2 cup red wine
8. 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
9. 1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, sliced
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 5 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours 35 Minutes
1. preheat oven to 425 levels f (220 tiers c). butter a baking sheet.
2. reduce a hole within the top of each bread round, leaving the sides and bottoms untouched, to make the outlet of the bread bowl. pull aside the cut-out segment.
three. region 1/2 cup butter and a pair of tablespoons crushed garlic in a microwave-safe bowl. warmness till butter is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. brush the insides of the bread bowls and the reduce-out portions with butter; place at the organized baking sheet.
4. bake within the preheated oven for 3 to 5 mins. go away oven on.
five. melt the remaining butter in a huge saucepan over medium warmth. upload sweet onion. prepare dinner and stir till onion has softened and became translucent, approximately 5 mins. lessen heat to low and continue cooking and stirring till onion is very soft and darkish brown, about 20 minutes extra.
6. stir the final garlic, pork broth, chicken broth, wine, and worcestershire sauce into the onions. deliver to a boil. reduce heat to low; cook till flavors intensify, five to ten mins. spoon soup into each bread bowl. cowl soup with gruyere cheese.
7. bake in the preheated oven till cheese is bubbling and melted along the edges of the bread bowl, approximately 5 minutes.