thick slices of french bread are toasted in the oven and placed on top of every bowl of wealthy onion soup. slices of swiss cheese are melted over the toast.
1. 1/4 cup butter
2. 3 onions, thinly sliced
3. 1 teaspoon white sugar
4. 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5. 2 1/2 cups water
6. 1/2 cup red wine
7. 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
8. 1 French baguette
9. 8 ounces sliced Swiss cheese
Prep:15 Minutes, Cook:45 Minutes, Ready In:1 Hours
1. soften butter or margarine in a 4 quart saucepan. stir in sugar. cook dinner onions over medium warmth for 10 minutes, or till golden brown.
2. stir in flour till properly combined with the onions and pan juices. add water, wine, and red meat broth; warmth to boiling. lessen warmness to low. cowl soup, and simmer for 10 mins.
3. cut four 1 inch thick slices of bread from the loaf. toast the bread slices at 325 degrees f (165 ranges c) simply till browned, about 10 minutes. reserve the final bread to serve with the soup.
four. ladle soup into 4 12 ounce, oven-safe bowls. vicinity 1 slice toasted bread on top of the soup in each bowl. fold swiss cheese slices, and suit onto toasted bread slices. area soup bowls on a cookie sheet for less complicated managing.
5. bake at 425 tiers f (220 levels c) for 10 mins, or simply until cheese is melted