this gratin honors the parsnip, cooked with cream, parmigiano-reggiano, and a spiced parsnip broth that heighten its complex flavors.
1. 1/4 cup butter, or as needed
2. 2 pounds parsnips
3. 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
4. 2 ribs celery, chopped
5. 2 leeks, chopped and divided
6. 3 cloves garlic, crushed and divided
7. 2 slices fresh ginger root
8. sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
9. 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
10. 3 cups water
11. 2 bay leaves
12. 2 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, divided
13. 1 (3 ounce) piece of Parmigiano-Reggiano rind
14. 2 cups heavy whipping cream, or as needed
Prep:15 Minutes, Cook:1 Hours 46 Minutes, Ready In:2 Hours 11 Minutes
1. preheat oven to 375 degrees f (a hundred ninety degrees c). butter a 2-quart baking dish liberally.
2. peel parsnips, reserving peelings for broth. slice into 1/8-inch rounds. arrange 1/3 of the parsnip slices in a unmarried, overlapping layer within the organized baking dish. sprinkle 1/3 of the parmigiano cheese over the top. repeat with remaining parsnips and parmigiano cheese.
3. heat 1 tablespoon butter in a massive skillet over medium heat. add celery, 1/2 of the leeks, 1 clove garlic, and ginger pieces. prepare dinner till softened, approximately five mins. add parsnip peelings; season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. add 2 tablespoons water; prepare dinner and stir until water is absolutely absorbed and mixture turns pale brown, approximately five mins greater. maintain to prepare dinner and stir, including water as needed, till well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes extra.
4. pour final water over celery combination; upload bay leaves, 1 sprig rosemary, and parmigiano rind to skillet. growth warmness to high; carry liquid to a boil. decrease warmth, cowl, and simmer till decreased to about 1 cup broth, 20 to 30 minutes. season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. stress broth thru a exceptional sieve, urgent solids to extract as much liquid as feasible.
five. warmness final butter in a saucepan over medium warmness; add last leeks, closing garlic, and several rosemary leaves. cook dinner until softened, about five minutes. upload reserved broth; prepare dinner and stir till most liquid has evaporated and combination is light brown, 10 to 12 minutes. stir in cream, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to flavor; cook dinner and stir till warm, approximately three minutes. pour into organized baking dish to three/4 of the way up parsnip layers.
6. bake in preheated oven until parsnips are soft, cream combination is thickened and bubbly, and top is golden brown, 45 to 60 minutes. cool till gratin is set, approximately 10 minutes. garnish with more nutmeg and rosemary leaves.