on this traditional hunan , whole chook is poached, de-boned, and stir-fried with chile, ginger, rice wine, and szechuan peppercorns.
1. 1 (2 pound) whole chicken
2. 1 tablespoon cornstarch
3. 1 tablespoon cold water
4. 6 tablespoons peanut oil
5. 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
6. 2 teaspoons finely chopped dried chile peppers
7. 3 tablespoons vinegar
8. 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine
9. 20 Szechuan peppercorns, crushed
10. salt to taste
11. 2 spring onions, chopped, or more to taste
12. 1/8 teaspoon monosodium glutamate (MSG)
13. 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Prep:30 Minutes, Cook:27 Minutes, Ready In:57 Minutes
1. place bird in a stockpot with water to cowl; convey to a boil and cook until juices run clean, as a minimum 20 minutes. an immediate-examine thermometer inserted into the thickest a part of the thigh near the bone should examine a hundred sixty five degrees f (74 levels c). take away fowl; set apart to cool. reserve half of cup of the cooking liquid.
2. dispose of hen meat from bone; cut meat into half-inch by means of 2-inch strips. mix cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl. toss meat in 1/2 of the cornstarch combination.
three. warmth peanut oil in a wok or massive skillet over excessive warmth. upload chook mixture, ginger, and chiles; cook dinner and stir until aromatic, 2 to three mins. upload reserved cooking liquid, vinegar, rice wine, peppercorns, and salt. go back to boil; prepare dinner and stir until mixture is almost dry, about three mins. stir in spring onions, monosodium glutamate, and ultimate cornstarch mixture; prepare dinner till sauce is thickened, 2 to a few mins more. drizzle with sesame oil.