make this stew a day ahead to allow the flavors in this highly pro stew with andouille sausage, hen and okra expand.
1. 12 cups water
2. 3 pounds chicken parts
3. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4. 1 1/2 pounds okra
5. 1/2 cup vegetable oil
6. 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
7. 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
8. 1 (28 ounce) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes
9. 1 green bell pepper, chopped
10. 2 stalks celery, chopped
11. 2 cloves garlic, minced
12. 1 bay leaf
13. 2 teaspoons salt
14. 1 teaspoon dried thyme
15. 1 teaspoon dried basil
16. 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
17. 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
18. 1 teaspoon file powder
Prep:10 Minutes, Cook:3 Hours 10 Minutes, Ready In:3 Hours 20 Minutes
1. combine water and chicken in large pot. convey to boil. lessen warmth and simmer till bird is tender, about 1 hour. the usage of tongs, transfer fowl to strainer and funky, saving cooking liquid. take away meat from bones in pieces.
2. warmth 2 tablespoons oil in heavy skillet over medium warmness. add okra and cook dinner until no longer sticky, stirring regularly, about 20 mins; set apart.
three. stir flour and last 1/2 cup oil in heavy huge dutch oven. prepare dinner over medium warmness until deep golden brown, stirring often, approximately 6 minutes. add four cups reserved chicken cooking broth, okra, andouille sausage, tomatoes with their juices, bell pepper, celery, garlic, bay leaf, salt, thyme, basil, cayenne, and pepper. cover partially and simmer till thickened, approximately 1 1/2 hours.
4. spoon off any fats from surface of gumbo. upload chook and record powder to gumbo and simmer lightly 15 mins. (if making ready beforehand, cover and refrigerate. bring to simmer earlier than serving.) mound rice in shallow bowls if favored. ladle gumbo over and serve.