a classic roux is the thickening agent for this conventional cajun-fashion gumbo made wealthy and hearty with bird, sausage, onions, bell peppers, celery, garlic, and lively seasonings.
1. 1 cup vegetable oil
2. 1 cup all-purpose flour
3. 1 large onion, chopped
4. 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
5. 2 celery stalks, chopped
6. 1 pound andouille or smoked sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
7. 4 cloves garlic, minced
8. salt and pepper to taste
9. Creole seasoning to taste
10. 6 cups chicken broth
11. 1 bay leaf
12. 1 rotisserie chicken, boned and shredded
Prep:45 Minutes, Cook:2 Hours 30 Minutes, Ready In:3 Hours 15 Minutes
1. warmness the oil in a dutch oven over medium warmth. whilst warm, whisk in flour. retain whisking until the roux has cooked to the colour of chocolate milk, 8 to ten minutes. be careful now not to burn the roux. in case you see black specks within the aggregate, start over.
2. stir onion, bell pepper, celery, and sausage into the roux; cook five mins. stir within the garlic and prepare dinner any other five minutes. season with salt, pepper, and creole seasoning; combo very well. pour in the hen broth and upload the bay leaf. convey to a boil over high warmth, then lessen heat to medium-low, and simmer, exposed, for 1 hour, stirring every so often. stir inside the chook, and simmer 1 hour more. skim off any foam that floats to the top during the last hour.