use egg beaters(r) to bread your tofu with corn flakes, then dip in a spicy buttery spread to make those vegetarian buffalo tofu sandwiches.
1. 1 (8 ounce) container tofu, frozen for at least 36 hours
2. 2/3 cup cornflake crumbs
3. 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4. 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
5. 1/4 cup egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters®)
6. 2 tablespoons canola oil
7. 2 tablespoons buttery spread (such as Smart Balance®)
8. 3 tablespoons hot sauce, or to taste
Prep:25 Minutes, Cook:16 Minutes, Ready In:1 d 13 Hours 1 Minutes
1. location tofu in a microwave-secure bowl; warmness on defrost putting for about 10 minutes. reduce into 4 slices no more than half of-inch thick each.
2. set up tofu slices facet-by-side on paper towel-covered slicing board. wrap paper towel across the tofu. location a plate on pinnacle; set a three- to five-pound weight on the plate (a box full of water works properly). press tofu for 20 to 30 minutes; drain and discard the collected liquid.
three. blend corn flakes and cayenne pepper collectively in a bowl. region flour and egg substitute in 2 separate bowls.
four. warmth oil in a skillet over medium-excessive warmness. dredge the tofu slices within the flour, the egg alternative, after which the corn flake combination; without delay region slices inside the skillet. cook until crisp and lightly browned, about 3 minutes in step with side. drain on a paper-towel lined plate. pour out extra oil and crumbs from the skillet.
5. melt buttery unfold in the skillet over low warmness. turn off the heat and blend within the hot sauce. dip tofu within the sauce briefly till covered on both sides.