1. 1/2 teaspoon canola oil, or as needed, divided
2. 1 pound ground beef (85% lean)
3. 1 onion, chopped
4. 1 (30 ounce) package frozen hash browns
5. 1/2 teaspoon butter, or as needed
6. 2 tablespoons minced garlic
7. salt and ground black pepper to taste
8. 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
Prep:15 Minutes, Cook:17 Minutes, Ready In:32 Minutes
1. warmness 1/four teaspoon oil in a big skillet over medium-excessive warmth. add red meat and onions; saute till red meat is mainly browned, 7 to nine minutes. drain 90% of the fat.
2. reduce open the bag of hash browns; microwave till primarily defrosted, about four mins.
3. heat butter and the closing 1/four teaspoon oil in the skillet over medium warmth. add hash browns to the beef-onion mixture. cook and stir till gently browned, about three mins. stir in garlic, salt, and pepper. cook till hash browns are crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. unfold cheddar cheese flippantly over the hash browns and permit melt.